04 December 2010

Christmas is coming.... 21 days left.

I have been busy working on Christmas gifts and other related projects. This weekend I finished a bowl/platter made of another unknown bargain bin wood, three votive candle holders, and several more tree ornaments.


This bowl/platter is another one of my bargain bin mystery woods from Woodcraft in OKC. It is a fairly hard wood that turned well. I sanded it up to 400 grit, then finished it with Watco Danish Oil. I still have a few more coats of oil and some buffing to finish it up. It is by far the best feeling and looking creation to date, in my opinion.





The first two candle holders are made from a persimmon branch and are shaped like small goblets. The persimmon wood has some unique coloring and black spots. The third candle holder is made from Arizona Cypress. It is reversible and can hold a candle on either end. All have been finished with danish oil.








The Christmas Tree ornaments are made from ebony, mesquite, zebra wood, and a mystery wood. These have been finished with polyurethane gloss.  There are four more ornaments still in the shop allowing the polyurethane to dry overnight.








I will be in OKC Sunday through Tuesday and plan on making at least one run by Woodcraft. I am going to get a SuperNova2 chuck to hold some of the larger heavier bowls and well as long, heavy spindles. I will also look in their bargain bin for some more good deals.

2 comments:

  1. Amy really likes the tree ornaments and has requested a full tree... So I will be crankin them out to get ready for next Christmas.

    ReplyDelete
  2. TREE ORNAMENTS ARE VERY BEAUTIFUL

    ReplyDelete