24 January 2011

Collection Plate, Cedar Pot, and a Candy Dish

I am currently working on making four collection plates to be used in a new service at Christ Episcopal Church. I am making the plates from 2"x12" Swamp Ash blanks. Swamp Ash seems to be a fairly soft wood, requiring sharp tools and sanding sealer to prevent tear out. Fortunately, being a soft wood, it sands rather easily. After sanding to 240, I applied a coat of WATCO Danish Oil and applied steel wool while on the lathe. The fine steel wool seemed to polish the wood and oil, bringing out a better finish than just oil alone. Below is a picture of the prototype collection plate. I still have 3 more to make as similar to this one as I can.





Earlier this month I turned a hollow form from cedar. The shape was inspired by southwestern pottery. As I progress the opening at the top should continue to shrink. The finish on the pot is shellac.





Last Friday night I turned a small candy dish from a piece of Argentinian Lignum Vitae. I really like working with this wood. It gives off a pleasant citrus aroma when it is cut. As dense and oily as the wood naturally is, it polishes up quite nicely. I finished this bowl with WATCO Teak Oil.




No comments:

Post a Comment