15 September 2010

Cedar Bowl

I rigged up the Carter Circle Cutting jig on the band saw and cut out about an eight inch round cedar blank. This wood was found/cut during the first part of June of this year near Lake Texoma.

The cedar was fairly easy wood to rough turn. After I obtained an acceptable shape, I applied a coat of sanding sealer to help stiffen up the end grain. Once the sanding sealer dried, I was able to make a finish cut and then sanded it up to 240 and polished up with fine steel wool. I applied Watco Danish oil as a finish and was impressed at the speed the cedar absorbed the oil.

I will apply a few more coats of oil and then finish out the interior.

While hollowing out the interior the tenon failed and the bowl flew off the lathe. I had to remount the bowl to the faceplate and reshape the exterior and cut a new tenon that was a bit stronger than the last. Needless to say the original shape changed a bit. I also decided to go with a tung oil finish instead of the danish oil. I think it turned out all right for having bounced all over the shop.

Still need to get some pictures up.

No comments:

Post a Comment