11 October 2010

Goblets and more tops

This past week has been a busy one. I ordered some wood and parts for Christmas presents, attended the East Texas Woodturner's Association meeting, visited the Hardwood Barn in Mt. Enterprise, TX, sawed up some logs into blanks, started a unique project involving paper and wood glue, and turned some goblets and tops.

The parts and wood for the gifts should arrive tomorrow. I turned a part for one of the gifts, but was unhappy with the shape. However I did learn some valuable lessons. You will just have to wait until after Christmas to see the pictures.

The ETWA meeting was quite eventful. The demo illustrated the art of segmented turning. I have along way to go before I attempt any segmented work. Also at the meeting there was some freshly cut River Birch free for the taking, provided by a generous member of the group.

At the Hardwood Barn I found some nice Mahogany, Zebrawood, Ebony, Bocote, and some assorted pen blanks. The Hardwood Barn had a nice selection of exotic and domestic lumber with quite reasonable prices, combined with friendly service, I will be a return customer.

I sawed up some Red Oak and Persimmon into some blanks and billets. There was some very interesting grain in some of the oak, as it is somewhat spalted. We will see what becomes of this in the future.

Now for some pictures.

First I turned a goblet from some spalted, rotten, worm eaten Red Oak. The lesson learned from this project is don't get greedy. I was almost finished and decided I should take one more cut.... and took a catch and snapped the stem. The next day I came back and turned the lower portion of the goblet away and the glued it back to the upper portion. Overall I am pleased with the results.




The next goblet I turned is from a piece of Persimmon. It was green and turned very well. I am unhappy with the thickness of the goblet. I did not stop to check the thickness before I turned the stem and could not correct the problem. However I do like the look of the bark on the edges.




The two tops I turned tonight are from wood that was found in the bargain bin at Woodcraft in OKC. I am finding that I really enjoy turning tops. They make good gifts, use small amounts of wood, and don't take too long to make. Is there anyone that doesn't enjoy spinning a top?






That's all folks! (at least for now)

1 comment: