03 October 2010

Softball Bat, Top, and Bowls

Yesterday I made a softball bat for my 16mth old girl, a top and two bowls.

The softball bat is made from a piece of red oak salvaged from a shipping crate. The shape was free handed. I started off just roughing the oak into a long cylinder then decided half way through that I should try to make a bat. As completely freehand off the cuff project, I am quite pleased with the results. My daughter likes it as well, although she uses it more like a golf club, swatting wiffle golf balls around the house, then chasing them down and whacking them again.


The next project is a small top made from teak. I am much more pleased with the shape of this top than my previous attempts. On the top surface I used the Sorby texture tool. It produced an interesting spiral type pattern, though it is hard to see in the picture. It spins well.



The first bowl is made from red oak that had to be removed from the front yard of my parents house. This bowl was turned green and has warped slightly. The oak has a good grain.


The second bowl I turned is from black limba. This seemed to be a softer wood that was prone to end grain tear out. A considerable amount of sanding was required to smooth everything out. Apparently black limba normally has more of the dark streaks that you see at edge of the bowl.






Everything was finished with Watco Danish oil. I will be applying tung oil to increase the sheen on the black limba bowl.

No comments:

Post a Comment