27 October 2010

A weeks worth of turnings

I have been neglecting the blog over the past week. I have been preparing for the New Mexico Mule Deer season that begins in just over one week. I have also been working to get the shop annex finished. I have however been able to complete several turning projects including an 14" peppermill, a bicentered hollow form, two bowls and a birch hollow form that exploded.

The peppermill was turned from a piece of wood from the bargain bin at Woodcraft. It is slightly off center but is better than the previous peppermill. I will attempt to use the spindle steady and possibly a new drilling technique. My next peppermill will be from bloodwood or another bargain bin wood (possibly canary wood). Hopefully my next attempt will not have these same issues.


The bicentered hollow form originally was to be a single axis vessel from some persimmon. However turning revealed a natural hollow section. I rechucked the project with a 1 1/8" expanding collet chuck. The result is a rather interesting piece.





The first bowl is from another piece of bargain bin wood. If anyone has any insight as to the type of wood this is please let me know. The walls of the bowl curve in and the interior of the bowl follows this contour. My wife like this bow so much she confiscated it for use as her new ring/necklace/earring holder on our vanity.





The second bowl is from curly maple that I acquired from the bargain rack at Wood World in Dallas. This bowl has a rounded base, but is weighted so that it stays upright. This shape would make a good candy dish somewhere.





My attempt at a hollow vase was going quite well until I tried to turn off the tennon. I took a catch and knocked the vase off the chuck where it proceeded to be destroyed. Upon further examination of the broken vessel, I am pleased with the uniformity of the wall thickness. This was turned from a piece of river birch that was given to be by Tom C. at our last ETWA meeting.




Tonight I turned a cedar bowl/hollow form. It is currently being finished. I will post up those pictures once it is complete.

No comments:

Post a Comment